Thursday, September 10, 2009

Faithfulness

A little lesson on faithfulness. Not mine...His.

Labour Day Weekend brought with it time off, sunshine, and friends. We had a Big Barbeque on our Little Island on saturday, and we were super excited that so many people were able to make the great trek across the big water (Pictures to come...maybe). My enjoyment of this past weekend brought me to think about Point 1 of my 2 point "lesson learned":

(1) The God I serve cares about the little things.
I've always known this, but I find that I'm quite forgetful. God could've placed us on this island, in this brand-new province, and said, "Deal with it". We could be living here with no friends, and no church to attend, and still we would have served Him, and loved Him. But He is faithful to the desires of our hearts, whether they be big or small. I'm quite certain that He knew the loneliness we felt moving here, leaving all our friends and family members behind. Just like He knew our desire for friendship and fellowship, and a church family. He's blessed us with friendships that I believe we'll take with us even when our post here is finished.And we're so thankful.

(2) The God I serve cares about the things I don't even think to ask for.
Ever notice how sometimes, you end up exactly where you should be, but you know that you never would have thought to try and work things out that way? I cannot even begin to count the examples, from my own life, of God sending me exactly what I need, exactly when I need it. Now, this is not to be confused with what I want. A few examples?

I thought I wanted a man who would spoil me, and coddle me, and baby me. What I got, however, was exactly what I needed: a man who challenges me to be stronger; who encourages me to see the positive in a situation instead of whine about the injustices; who tells me when I'm being a brat, but also lets me vent when he knows I need it. And he loves me right through it all.

I thought I wanted a job where I could have fun, and enjoy every second, make friends, and (yup, it's true) put together nice outfits to wear every morning. Instead, God knew what I needed, and placed me in a job where, most days, there are points where I seriously consider pulling my hair out, where there's no point wearing anything but old jeans or sweats, and where I become frustrated to the point of almost crying, but still need to smile and use my "patient voice" (Betcha didn't even know I HAD one of those!). But it's also a job where every smile and the rare "Hi!" absolutely light up my day; where any eye contact over 2 seconds makes me tear up like I've just had an hour long heart-to-heart; and where, when those little arms reach out for a hug, you feel your heart leaving your chest and bursting into a thousand tiny pieces. It's a job that brings me to tears at least 3 times every week, but where every overcome hurdle is means for an enormous celebration. It's where my God knew I needed to be.

So this is where my thoughts have been lately. On how amazing and faithful the Lord is to us, even when we are so unfaithful in our anticipation of all He has planned for us.

The verse husband and I had on our wedding bulletin was from Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you HOPE, and a future".

"Hope" isn't in capitals in the Bible. I did that :)
Because hope is so HUGE! Hope for tomorrow, and next month, and next year...Hope for all the good things He has for our lives. Not just in the big things, like marriage, and children, and a career...but also in the things that might be insignificant to everyone but me. The things that I may not think I want, but that He is faithful in knowing I need. The little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment