Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Time-Traveling Husband

I'm reading the book "The Time Traveler's Wife", and one chapter starts with this:
"Here's a secret: sometimes, I like when Henry [the time travelling husband] is gone." She also says, at one point, that being married to a time-traveler is like being married to a policeman: you never know when he's leaving; where he is; how long he'll be gone; when he'll be back. There are missed birthday's and anniversaries, and when the wife on the movie announced to the husband that he had "missed Christmas", I had lovely flashbacks of last Christmas, sitting alone in my living room with the presents only half-opened, because my husband got called out while we were smack in the of present opening (although, in his defence, he didn't miss the WHOLE morning, and got to come back just in time to see me abandon my will to wait for him, and tear into a small, rectangle package that I just KNEW was Kenny & Dolly's Christmas CD!!!)
Back in the theatre, I turned to 2 of my friends (whose husbands are also officers) and said, "Oh! I get it! He's not actually a time-traveler; he's just a policeman!"

I think it's clear that usually, I don't like all the "being-left-alone"...but in an effort to be more positive, I've been thinking up things I DO like about being alone.

1) I like having the remote. I like being able to pick a show that only I want to watch, without feeling bad that Jamie doesn't like the show.

2) I like putting all the pillows in their proper places on the sofa's and chair, and knowing that no one is going to move them or put them on the floor.

3) I like having the curtains and blinds in the living room open. For some reason unbeknownst to me, Jamie "needs" the curtains shut, even on sunny days. Actually, maybe it's because you can see the tv better that way. But if it's sunny, there is not even a CHANCE the curtains in staying shut in my house.

4) Sometimes, I like being super lazy, and wearing sweats ALL day, and sitting on the couch and watching TV for hours on end. And I prefer being alone when I do this, so that there's no one (besides me) to see me being a sloth :)

5) I love being able to have the house completely clean, and then turn off the computer and TV and have complete silence, and then curl up on my cozy chair with coffee and a book and my blanket, because everyone knows reading is so much better if you have silence.

6) When I'm alone, I'm more likely to do things. I hate going to work out, or going walking, or going to get groceries when Jamie's at home, because sometimes we get so little time together that I feel like if he's off duty, we should be together. So when he's working, I feel more free to get out of the house.

I'm reading number 6 and I'm not sure if it makes sense, but I don't know how else to word it.

Of course, being alone would still be much better with a dog. I'm working on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment