Saturday, July 11, 2009

I'm Dating Myself

A conversation regarding the movie currently out in theatres, My Sister's Keeper:

Me: "So...can we go see it this weekend while in town?"

Jamie: "Well, does anything blow up in the movie?"

Me: "Well...probably not...it's about a girl with leukemia, and her mother is trying to force her sister to-"

Jamie: "Sounds BORRRRRING. I'm not going."

Me: "Ok, what about I Love You Beth Cooper? It looks funny."

Jamie: "Do things explode in that one?"

And so on so forth.

So yesterday evening, while Jamie went on a motorcycle course, I decided to date myself. I went to the movies.
A little list of nice things about taking yourself on a date:
-> It's cheaper
-> You get to make all the decisions yourself
-> When the theatre is super-packed, it's way easier to find a good seat for ONE rather than for TWO...AND you don't have to annoy people looking for seats with, "Sorry, this seat (with my purse and jacket on it) is, in fact, taken. My husband's out getting the snacks/peeing/trying to find an escape route so he can skip the chick flick I've dragged him to.

The down side? When you're all alone, without a boy, people will talk to you. Here's a really "fun" conversation I had the pleasure of experiencing yesterday, when I was minus one husband at the mall:

Random Man: [Handing me a flyer to "Ladies night at (insert club name here)] "Hey. Big party night tonight. Defininately stop in."

Me: [Not wanting to appear rude by giving him back the flyer] "Oh...ok. Thank you."

Random Man: "So...do you think you'll come?"

Me: "Umm No. I'm not big on clubs. And I don't drink."

Random Man: [LOOOOONG pause] "You don't drink...like...you mean...this weekend?

Me: "No, I mean at all."

Random Man: "So like...you only drink...now and then?"

Me: [Feeling like talking to this guy is about as stimulating as talking to a sandwich] "I don't drink at all. On any days. Any alcohol. Ever."

Random Man: [Looking at me like I'm growing a second head] "Ok...well...um...well..." And literally just turns and walks away.


I loved the reaction. It was as though he was scared if he spoke to me for any longer, my lack-of-interest in alcohol or clubbing might just rub off on him. Ha!

Point in case, I had a much better night taking myself on a movie date. DO it sometime; it's FUN!

And today, if I can remember how to get there from here, I'm going on a "Downtown St. John's Shopping Expedition." Just me. I'm crossing my fingers that I can remember how to parallel park.

No comments:

Post a Comment